Custom Kiln Drying
The Wood Mill of Maine operates two dry kilns in Mercer, Maine. We offer custom kiln drying for contractors, brokers, and the general public as well as heat treating for firewood and export markets. We can accommodate orders of ANY size and pride ourselves in providing the highest quality drying and customer service in the industry.
- Nyle dehumidification kilns
- On-site Air Drying
- Kiln capacity of 20,000 per kiln
- Covered storage for dried product
- Easy access from Rt. 95 ~ Just off Rt. 2
- Planing services for everything from flooring to log cabin logs
- Volume based pricing (see below). $50 minimum.
We primarily dry Eastern White Pine in our kilns. We will not dry any amount of Red or White Oak, but we will custom dry most other hardwoods. Hardwoods will be dried with a load of Pine on a Pine drying schedule. We do not guarantee how dry your hardwood will get, or guarantee that the it will stay flat, straight, and not check. Air drying hardwoods to around 20% moisture content can significantly improve results in our kilns. Our rates listed are per kiln cycle.
We can sticker your wood for a small charge, or if you would like to do it yourself. Please follow these instructions if stickering your own wood:
- Maximum pack dimensions are 4′ deep x 4′ tall x 16′ long
- Use dry stickers to prevent sticker staining. (we have good stickers if you need them)
- Longest boards go on the outside of the pack. Mix the shorts in the middle
- Start with sticker in the middle of your pack
- Set sticks every 2′ starting from the middle
- Also make sure a sticker is within 6″ of the ends
- Keep stickers directly over each other